Schools in England are heading for the rocks. They are dealing concurrently with:
- forced academies and free schools
- a school places crisis because Local Authorities are forbidden from building schools
- an impossible curriculum
- tests and exams designed so that children will fail in droves
- child poverty at record levels but schools expected to ‘close the gap’
- a continuing assault on ethnic minorities and migrants
- teacher morale at rock bottom
- parents furious about the stress their children suffer
- the mass exodus of staff, with experienced teachers and heads walking out
- the Government’s attempts to fill the vacancies with unqualified teachers
The only way to stop this is by mass resistance from teachers in alliance with parents. This strike signals a new phase in the battle for education.
With thanks to Polly Donnison for the cartoon.
Reclaiming Schools will continue to support the NUT’s campaign with expert research.